Monday, February 7, 2011

The Sun Sets On British Values (and on Britain)

Mihir Bose, who came to the U.K. decades ago from India, asks, "Has Britain lost the values that drew me here?" He concludes that, alas, it has:
...My migrant’s road was different from that of most. I did not come here fleeing oppression, nor to seek my fortune. I decided to make my home here because I believed that this was a fairer society where I could achieve my goal of becoming a writer more easily than in India. I have never regretted my decision.
The tragedy with modern Britain is that it seems not to care any longer for the qualities that make it so special and that drew me and many others to this country.

Not just tolerance and kindness – India has that as well – but a sense of fair play and justice, giving everyone a chance. These qualities are unequalled anywhere else in the world.

Of course various racial and religious groups, particularly the Muslims, must accept this country. But this country must help them – not by pandering to them but by broadcasting its own virtues.

For too long it has given the impression of not just being ashamed of them but ignorant of them.

Unless Britain rediscovers its pride in its values this wretched multiculturalism will never die.
If "wretched multiculturalism" lives, Britain will die.

No comments: