Sunday, August 10, 2014

Pastrami Purveyor Zane Caplansky 'Splains His Sponsorship of Toronto Palestine FIlm Festival

Don't know about you but I find this as hard to swallow as a bad batch of gefilte fish:
The truth is, I didn't screen the content of the films because I didn't make the decision to sponsor this festival to support any one perspective. I sponsored it as a small and humble effort to break down barriers so that both Jews and Palestinians care share each others stories. There was no ulterior motive here -- lets just get together over good food and share stories.
I've been incredibly encouraged by the volume of positive response that I've received as a result of the unexpected media attention. I've also been personally wounded and disappointed by accusations of being a "self-hating Jew" and other horrible accusations. While I have tried to keep focused on the incredibly encouraging feedback, I have to ask: If we, as a Jewish community are unable to speak kindly and compassionately amongst ourselves, even when we disagree with each other, how can we ever hope to make peace with our enemies? 
I have little interest in engaging in conversation about who is at fault in this conflict, in polarized and heated accusations, nor do I propose that I have any solutions to the terrible suffering on both sides during this war. But what I do know is that the "us" and "them" perspective is getting us nowhere. And my sponsorship of the festival was my effort to think of ourselves as a collective "us" -- those of us who just want peace.
The truth is that Zane is a simpleton/useful idiot whose lack of concern about "who is at fault in this conflict" (heads up, Zane: it's the Palestinians) means that he has no problem supporting a film fest whose other sponsors have included the Zion-loathers of rabble.ca, the Jewliminationists of Palestine House and an Arab newspaper that has repeatedly denied the truth of the Holocaust.

So the real truth is that the man who pushes "peace" and delicatessen in equally unhealthy helpings may not be a "self-hating Jew," but he is an exceptionally stupid one.

No comments: