Thursday, December 3, 2009

Clueless Jews--Very Old News

So I had just dropped off my son at the bus stop and was having a latte at my local boite, nose buried in my book du jour--Joachim Fest's bio of Albert Speer. Just then, a dapper-looking gent at the next table asked what I was reading and, before I knew it, we were engrossed most enjoyable conversation. The gent, who worked in the building across the street, told me he was from Poland and, as a very young child, had lived in the Lodz ghetto. "Did you know, " he said to me, "that before the war there were many Jews who supported Hitler?"

What I wanted to say--but didn't, because we had just met--was, "Oh, you mean like the Jews today who "support" Islamists and side with Islam?" What I did say was, "I'm not surprised."

After all, Jews "supporting" their enemies goes waaaay back. Why, in just over a week's time,  Jews will be celebrating a festival that marks an ancient Jewish triumph over a Syrian-Greek despot who many Jews--the "Hellenizers"--"supported". The despot was bested by Judah Maccabee (who I kind of like to think of as the Ezra Levant of his time).

No comments: