Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Skeptic's Analogy

Writing in the Wall Street Journal, Richard S. Lindzen, a professor of meteorology at M.I.T., paints a picture of the UN's nonsensical approach to tackling "climate change":

Suppose that I leave a box on the floor, and my wife trips on it, falling against my son, who is carrying a carton of eggs, which then fall and break. Our present approach to emissions would be analogous to deciding that the best way to prevent the breakage of eggs would be to outlaw leaving boxes on the floor. The chief difference is that in the case of atmospheric CO2 and climate catastrophe, the chain of inference is longer and less plausible than in my example.
Ah, yes, but it all depends on how much you're hankering to control the way everyone in the developed world places his/her boxes.

1 comment:

Blazingcatfur said...

My cat makes me eat chocolate. It's true, I can't help it if you don't believe me.