Friday, October 3, 2014

One More Before I Go

Christina Blizzard is puzzled about the concept of "white privilege"--the Elementary Teachers Federation of Ontario is offering its members a workshop on the subject--because, as a white person, she has yet to be a beneficiary of it (her purported "privilege," that is):
Frankly, as a white person who’s struggled all my life to become privileged, I really wish I knew what white privilege is, because I’d like a heaping helping. 
If I’d had a chunk of white privilege, I wouldn’t have had to bust my butt every day working to make a living. I could be eating bonbons on a yacht in the Mediterranean. 
A note on the ETFO website says the union is looking for people to put on the workshops. 
The “ideal presenter” will have “demonstrated commitment and understanding of white privilege and systemic issues.” 
Interested in the job? Then you should submit a cover letter that outlines “your understanding of white privilege.” 
Well, here’s my understanding of white privilege. 
It doesn’t exist. 
This is a racist notion put forward by ETFO and it is as dangerous as it is corrosive...
In that case, Christina, you probably won't get the job. Here's an even better idea for a teachers' workshop, though--The Danger (To a Society's Well-Being and an Individual's Ability to Perceive Reality) of Embracing Reverse Racism, Bogus Victimhood and Other Nutty Leftist Beliefs.

No comments: