Saturday, November 5, 2011

"Occupy" Anarchism as Dumb as a Bag of Pete Seger's Hammers

Mark Steyn writes:
America is seizing up before our eyes: The decrepit airports, the underwater property market, the education racket, the hyper-regulated business environment. Yet, curiously, the best example of this sclerosis is the alleged "revolutionary" movement itself. It's the voice of youth, yet everything about it is cobwebbed. It's more like an open-mike karaoke night of a revolution than the real thing. I don't mean just the placards with the same old portable quotes by Lenin et al, but also, say, the photograph in Forbes of Rachel, a 20-year-old "unemployed cosmetologist" with remarkably uncosmetological complexion, dressed in pink hair and nose ring as if it's London, 1977, and she's killing time at Camden Lock before the Pistols gig. Except that that's three-and-a-half decades ago, so it would be like the Sex Pistols dressing like the Andrews Sisters. Are America's revolting youth so totally pathetically moribund they can't even invent their own hideous fashion statements? Last weekend, the nonagenarian Commie Pete Seeger was wheeled out at Zuccotti Park to serenade the oppressed masses with "If I Had A Hammer." As it happens, I do have a hammer. Pace Mr. Seeger, they're not that difficult to acquire, even in a recession. But, if I took it to Zuccotti Park, I doubt very much anyone would know how to use it, or be able to muster the energy to do so.
The unemployed, cosmetically underenhanced cosmetologist sings:

If I had a tweezers,
I'd tweeze you in the mornin',
I'd tweeze you in the evenin',
All over your face.
I'd tweeze out stray hairs,
I'd tweeze out cilia,
I'd tweeze the stuff between
The eyebrows of my sisters,
All over their fa-a-a-ace.
Oo oo oo oo.

If I had a lipstick,
I'd apply it in the mornin'
I'd apply it in the evenin'
All over your mouth.
I'd make you blot it,
Put on a lot.
It would be quite the pout,
There'd be no doubt about it,
Right there, right on your fa-a-a-ace.
Oo oo oo oo.

If I had some powder,
I'd powder in the mornin',
I'd powder in the evenin'
All over your face.
I'd banish your face shine,
I'd give a matte fi-i-nish.
I'd powder out oil
That foils a nice appearance
All over your fa-a-a-ace,
Oo oo oo oo.

Well, I got no tweezers,
And I got no 'stick,
And I got no powder, no!
Ain't got power, too.
But I feel entitled,
And I feel so spe-eh-cial.
I want your shekels now,
Don't wanna have to earn 'em,
Workin' isn't my ba-a-a-ag
Oo oo oo oo.


1 comment:

Carlos Perera said...

A great irony of the "Occupy" movement is that one of their principal beefs, insofar as concrete grievances can be identified, is that the "one percent" have been pushing broad segments of the American middle class into poverty. The nostrum they demand to fix the problem, increasing federal government spending and regulation of productive private enterprise, is precisely what has been undermining the middle class for decades, by making private enterprise ever more costly in the U. S.

Of course, from the standpoint of the crafty Leftists--including the lot now controlling the Executive and a goodly portion of the Judiciary--who are pulling the strings of the OWS marionette, getting rid of an independent, self-sufficient yeomanry is a feature, not a bug, of the expansion of the central government. The yeomanry have a nasty habit of showing up with their longbows at inconvenient times, to thwart the best-laid plans of bureaucrats and other rodents.