Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Update on My Colonoscopy

Further to this post about my colonoscopy woes (re the scope that had been booked for a year but that was cancelled at the last minute due to "budgetary reasons"): I'm happy to report that I had the test this morning (at the amusingly named Upper Canada Lower Bowel Clinic--begging the question: is there a Lower Canada Upper Bowel Clinic?) and that my innards were beauteous, pristine, in the pink. I know this for a fact not only because the nice doctor who did the test told me so, but because I was fully conscious during the entire procedure, and watched it on a monitor.

For those who have yet to have the test I would point out the following: the purging part is unpleasant, but it's not as unpleasant as I was expecting it to be. The worst aspect is the large quantity of liquid that must be consumed on a tight schedule, and the fact that the Klean-Prep, while purportedly vanilla-flavoured, tastes pretty vile. I recommend you mix it with the coldest of water to deaden the flavour and drink it down quickly while holding your nose.

I had been assured by those who had had the procedure that the prep was the worst part--and indeed it was. But I have to say that even with the Demerol/tranquilizer mix inserted into a vein in my hand, I did experience a bit of discomfort as the scope was snaking its way through to the end of the line. Nothing major, mind you, but let's just say I wouldn't have minded a wee bit of topping up in the meds department, even if it meant I didn't get to see my colon starring in living colour on reality TV.

6 comments:

Marky Mark said...

Good for you and glad you went where I suggested! I also was conscious and I don't remember any pain. The prep reallyw as vile and other methods don't require as much liquid or two nights of prep.

scaramouche said...

I loved the clinic's amusing prep instructions--although I didn't quite understand the reference to how, during the diarrhea, you'll be reminded of "gargoyles."

Two nights of prep did rather drag it out. I wonder why they do it that way.

Unknown said...

You were fully conscious? Brave lady! Me, I tell em knock me out and wake me up with hopefully good news!

Marky Mark said...

I asked the doctor that question when I had it done and the answer given was that the one day prep is more "violent" and comes with a (samll) risk of electrolyte problems. She said there are those who would be at risk and most patients are people they've never seen before. I realize now it's been four years so I should be doing it again either next year or at seven years.

Al the Fish said...

I drove a friend to a hospital for a colonoscopy a few years ago. They must have given him really good joy juice, he was awake but didn't think they did the procedure, and wanted to go back again and have another. His wife was not amused when I told her that, maybe it has something to do with his liking to wear pink shirts and not the liking of the drugs!

scaramouche said...

I could have used some of those meds.