Sunday, October 16, 2011

Another Idiot Liberal Politician Heard From

Not surprisingly, the Ceeb adores the "Occupy" mob. Just for fun I've taken the liberty of highlighting and commenting on (in brackets) all the not-terribly subtle ways it shows its support (via easily-deciphered coded language) in this news report. At the end of this selection, a well-known political operative/opportunist pops up--like the cherry on a toxic sundae:
Crowds of demonstrators gathered in the streets of various Canadian cities on Saturday to kick off a series of "Occupy" protests over corporate greed and financial inequality, mirroring similar rallies that have spread from the United States to dozens of countries around the world. (Such idealists and alturists, those "protesters".)

The global day of marches and sit-ins are inspired by the grassroots Occupy Wall Street movement in New York City, which began weeks ago and has seen protesters occupying Lower Manhattan's Zuccotti Park for nearly a month now. (Calling it "grassroots" makes it sound ever so much more wholesome and cruchy granola than calling it what it realy is--"astroturf.")

Protests emerged in at least 15 Canadian cities, including Vancouver, Calgary, Winnipeg, Toronto, Montreal, Quebec City and St. John's. While locations varied by city, they generally included marching to financial districts, city halls or other important economic venues.

Between 2,000 and 3,000 people gathered in front of the Vancouver Art Gallery in the afternoon and held a series of marches throughout downtown, a scene described as "festival-like" by CBC News reporter Theresa Lalonde. Organizers asked for a day of consensus and requested that people not smoke. Protesters were low-key, setting up a food tent and holding meditation circles. ("Festival-like"--you know, like Woodstock. Only without the weed; I assume that's included in the smoking ban.)

In Montreal, hundreds of people descended on Victoria Square. Some carried signs denouncing capitalism, and mothers with children walked among the crowd as tents were set up. By late afternoon, it had transformed into a march by more than 1,000 people down Ste.Catherine Street. (Well, if mothers with children were there, it must be good and right and fair and true.)

One student, holding a sign "You can't eat money," told CBC News, "We place so much importance on money in our society... the system is so screwed up [and in the end] money means nothing." (Yeah, it's so much better when the government doles out money and goods to the populace "fairly" and "equitably"--like it did in, say, Soviet Russia. The utter paucity of consumer goods in that place and time meant that 99% of folks couldn't become consumed by consumerism--unlike the remaining 1% at the top who could pretty much get every luxury denied to the unmonied and powerless hoi polloi).

In Toronto, initial estimates put the crowd at about 3,000 as they marched east from their meeting place in the city's financial district to St. James Park at King and Church Streets, next to the city's historic Anglican church. Once at the park, the crowd dwindled to 1,500 by early afternoon. Many brought sleeping bags and tents, while some brought suitcases as well as pots and pans. By evening a food tent had been set up, people were playing drums and others appeared to be settling in for the night. (Whatever you do, "don't eat the brown acid," man.)

Liberal Leader Bob Rae showed up at the park, saying it was his constituency and that as a politician, he wanted to face the crowd...

No comments: