Thursday, March 25, 2010

Finger Lickin' Sharia

A patron of a U.K. KFC wasn't able to order his favorite menu item because...well, I'm pretty sure you can take a wild guess as to why that might have been. The Daily Mail has the skinny (or I guess in this case the fatty) on the disappointed diner (my bolds):
A diner was left fuming after a KFC restaurant took his favourite meal off the menu because it breached their new halal regulations.
Alan Phillips was told he would have to travel five miles to another branch if he wanted the Big Daddy, a chicken burger, topped with bacon, cheese and salad.
The branch, in Burton-on-Trent, Staffordshire, is one of 86 KFC restaurants which is running trials of a scheme where they sell nothing other than halal meat. The company has taken the burger off the menu because Islamic dietary law forbids Muslims to eat anything which has been prepared on the same premises as pork, which is itself strictly forbidden.
It said it was responding to 'increased demand' for a halal menu in the areas of Britain with growing Muslim populations.
Mr Phillips said he found the change 'extremely unfair' on non-Muslim customers.
'I can't believe a chain like this has taken this stance,' he said. 'Staff told me that due to the dietary laws halal meat could not be prepared in the same place as other meats, so I couldn't have my bacon.
It was like they were saying I couldn't buy bacon because it might offend people.'
Mr Phillips was told he would have to travel to another KFC five miles away to buy his bacon burger. He protested that this was too far for him to travel...
I dunno. Five miles isn't really so far to have to go. At least for now he doesn't have to travel to another country...or another continent... to get his bacon fix. 

1 comment:

Michele said...

I would bring my own bacon and plop down right in the middle of the restaurant to eat it.

In Saskatoon, we have a restaurant which serves "ham" but doesn't tell non-Muslims that it is fake.
http://becausenooneasked.com/2009/10/25/when-i-order-ham-i-expect-pork/