Monday, March 22, 2010

What an A-Houle!

A guardian of our pristine Trudeaupia lays down the law re "free speech" in Canada (i.e. the lack thereof) to a mouthy, shoot-from-the-hip right-winger. (The headline is expressly for him.)

It is at times likes these that I recall the words of one of the heroines of my youth, Teddy Roosevelt's brash daughter Alice. A woman who refused to be cowed by the social niceties of her era, she had a pillow embroidered with the message: "If you haven't got anything nice to say, come sit next to me."

I have always sought to live by those stirring words.

Update: Another quote to cite in this context--that of the CHRC's Dean Steacy (a.k.a. JADEWARR). It was Steacy who uttered those immortal and deathless words: "Freedom of speech is an American concept, so I don't give it any value."

So touching. So Canadian.

2 comments:

rasp said...

Yes, another University Marxist feeding on the taxpayer dime!

That F'in Trudeau new just what he was doing. I posted a small item here:
http://thedailyrasp.blogspot.com/2010/03/leftists-pissed-off-at-free-speech.html

Don Sharpe said...

She really said that!

Thanks for posting the link to Alice Roosevelt's bio, what a fantastic gal. I'm going to make my own sofa cushion with the moniker, "If you haven't got anything nice to say, come sit next to me'.

You made my day, and on the 1st day of Ann Coulter's tour here in Canada, that's quite a feat.