Monday, April 11, 2011

Visions of an Iggy Shangi La

Toronto Sun columnist Monte Solberg, who has a much stronger constitution than I do, has read through the Liberal's "Red Book," which gave rise to the following reverie:
After reading the new Liberal Red Book, images flash through my mind.
A robed Michael Ignatieff sits on a raised chair while healthy, laughing children of every race gambol like fawns before him on an expansive lawn. The older children sit enraptured as Jack Layton plays sweet, whimsical tunes on his flute. Gilles Duceppe sits in the background staring into space wishing to God he was in Montreal.

In the centre of it all sits Papa Ignatieff, bright eyed and smiling cryptically like Buddha as he casts a long gaze over all that he has created.

I can’t justify having these thoughts except to say that whenever I get the sense that someone wants to take me to Utopia I get there first in my imagination. Then I go to my happy place and stay there until the nice Utopian goes away...
If only it were that easy to wish away Trudeaupia, the multiculti morass imagined and put in place by an Iggy predecessor. That said, surely Iggy, even with his "cryptic smile" in place, is far too attenuated a character to be seen as Buddha.

No comments: