Thursday, April 29, 2010

Heil Earnhardt!

CAIR gets right on a case of egregious "Islamophobia." From the Washington Post (my bolds):
Douglas Story, a Chantilly dump truck driver for the Virginia Department of Transportation, says he wanted to grab people's attention when he paid $224.90 to have a mural of the burning World Trade Center detailed onto the tailgate of his Ford F-150 along with a sticker that reads: "Everything I ever needed to know about Islam I learned on 9/11."
But he got more than he bargained for when a photo of his pickup went viral on the Web last week. Motorists and Muslim groups complained that his Virginia vanity license plate -- 14CV88 -- was really code for neo-Nazi, white supremacist sentiments. The state Department of Motor Vehicles voted last week to recall Story's plates and force him to buy new ones.

"There is absolutely no way I'd have anything to do with Hitler or Nazis," Story said Wednesday. He contacted The Washington Post after an article about his plate appeared last week; the state, citing privacy rules, had declined to release the identity of the plate's owner. "My sister-in-law and my niece are Jewish. I went to my niece's bat mitzvah when she turned 13 three years ago. Does that sound like something an anti-Semite would do?"

Story says the numbers 14 and 88 on his plate were not references to a white power slogan or "Heil Hitler," as the Council on American-Islamic Relations theorized, but an homage to his favorite NASCAR drivers: Tony Stewart, who drives car No. 14, and Dale Earnhardt Jr., who drives No. 88...
Well, everyone knows how "bigoted" those redneck, knuckle-dragging NASCAR fans are. ;)

1 comment:

Osh said...

I wonder if CAIR trolled this guy's Facebook page before filing their complaint. The numerology of the '88' is well known, but I never would have guessed the '14' if I lived to be 'C'.

Some screenshots can be found here:

http://jalopnik.com/5527225/update-non+racist-nascar+loving-truck-owner-actually-racist