Friday, April 8, 2011

Fluffy Balls

Thought I'd share this--one of "Two Passover Jokes" in the April issue of Commentary magazine:
Arthur Miller takes his new wife Marilyn Monroe to his mother's apartment for her first seder. On the way, home, Miller asks Marilyn if she enjoyed it.

"Darling, I loved it all," she says, "all your family together, the ritual, the prayers, the food--especially the food."

"I'm delighted," says Miller, "but tell me, sweetheart, what dish did you like best?"

"I loved your mother's chicken soup," Marilyn says. "So clear, so golden, so flavorful."

"And the matzo balls?" he asks. "What did you think of my mother's matzo balls?"

"Oh, Arthur, I especially loved those matzo balls. How ever did your mother get them to be so light, so perfectly round, so tasty? They were absolutely scrumptious."

"My mother will be pleased to hear it, Miller says.

"In fact, I'll write your mother a note tomorrow about her fabulous matzo balls. I just love those matzo balls to death. But tell me, Arthur, what do you Jews do with the rest of the matzo?"
Okay, pretty lame, I know, but it gave me a laugh. Also, if you're wondering how to make the perfect matzo balls--fluffy, soft, dee-lish--use a mix; it's foolproof (a culinary tip passed down to me from my mother, whose "from-scratch" matzo balls were often hit or miss--sometimes light as air, sometimes hard as rock and, potentially, lethal projectiles).

1 comment:

Ms. Doubt49 said...

Damn! YOu gave my secret away!!:):)