Saturday, October 1, 2011

NDPer Claims Tories, Libs, Would Let Canucki Kids Starve

From the National Post:
WINDSOR, Ont. —A Windsor NDP candidate in the Oct. 6 Ontario election said he was teary-eyed and emotional from watching an upsetting video when he condemned capitalism and wrote that Liberal and Conservative governments would let Canadian children share the fate of starving kids in Africa.

Windsor West candidate Helmi Charif made the comments on his Facebook page in November.

“I’m a poverty activist . . . and I’m very passionate about these issues,” Charif said Friday. “I work with families in our community who are impacted by hunger and poverty. When I watched this video, it’s so disturbing, I cried. I became very emotional. I overstated myself.”

The Ontario Liberal party issued a statement Friday about Charif’s Facebook comments.

On Nov. 3, 2010, Charif posted a YouTube video of children starving to death in Uganda, accompanied with a comment.

“I feel sorry for these innocent kids who are victims of Capitalism and Imperialism,” he wrote. “I am afraid this will happen to us as canadians if we keep the conservatives and liberals in power.”

Liberal party representatives wouldn’t agree to an interview Friday. But they sent the Windsor Star an email saying they received a tip about Charif’s post from someone claiming to be a New Democrat disgruntled over the Anthony Marco “scandal.” Marco, the NDP candidate for Niagara West–Glanbrook, compared Nazism to religion a year ago in a profanity-laced podcast.

Liberal spokeswoman Alicia Johnston said in the email her party reviewed the posting and watched the video Friday morning.

“The message conveys a deep and ugly partisanship that crosses the line,” she said...
No kidding.

No comments: