Tuesday, June 16, 2015

You Can't Say That--But Lucky For Us, Steyn Says It

Mark Steyn is in top form this morning, weighing in on matters re political correctness and identity politics:
Meanwhile, in Spokane County, Washington, the aforementioned Rachel Dolezal has resigned as President of the local NAACP, the black civil rights group, because she is, in fact, white. Spokane County is less than two per cent black, and would seem to have no very pressing need for a local NAACP chapter. But, if you build it, they will come, even if a remarkable number come with the faint whiff of burnt cork and singing "De Camptown Races". "NAACP" stands for National Association for the Advancement of Colored People, and Ms Dolezal is a very literally colored person: she tans her skin and applies contouring make-up in order to "pass" for black. The Twitter handle (@HarlemRenaissanc) shows she's done her research, and her propensity for reporting fake hate crimes was a nice touch (she's of German descent, so she drew a swastika), but if you're serious about "transitioning" eventually you need the full "negroplasty", as "South Park" called it all those years ago.
You have to love Steyn in full flight, and not only because there is so much in the above para (and its brothers and sisters of all genders in this piece) that no one on the left would dare say (and if someone did say it, he/she/whatever could be sure of being lynched online by the virtual mob).

Update: Ex-NAACP leader Rachel Dolezal: 'I identify as black'

Hey, I identify as cetacean. That doesn't make me a porpoise.


(Just kidding, of course. I don't even like swimming.)

Update:  Mark mentions that, despite Caitlyn J.'s "transition," she is hanging on to her penis for now. Even so, she is definitely a changed person, as is revealed in her interview with a Vanity Fair scribbler (whose name, oddly enough, rhymes with "Kissinger") in this month's issue of the glossy rag. That Bruce guy, whom she used to be, was an introverted, curmudgeonly miser--you should pardon the expression, a real prick. The brand spanking new Caitlyn, conversely, is a real live living doll:
Jenner: Even my son, actually, Burt said that to me one time. He goes, “To be honest with you, I think Caitlyn is a lot better person than Bruce.” And I really have to—I think he’s right, because Bruce always had to tell a lie, he was always living that lie, every day, he always had a secret from morning till night. Caitlyn doesn’t have any secrets. It’s funny, my mother, my mom, she has not met Caitlyn yet. We’ve talked on the phone, she is coming down.
Bissinger: When is she coming down? 
Jenner: In about a week and a half, O.K. I’m sending a plane to go pick her up, and my sister, because she’s 89 years old and cannot get on the airlines, but she has to come down and, you know, we have to do this. 
Bissinger: You’re sending a plane out?  
Jenner: Yeah. 
Bissinger: You’re the cheapest person I ever met, I can’t— 
Jenner: I know, but for my mom I’ll send a plane. 
Bissinger: Yeah, but you, like, hunt for golf balls and— 
Jenner: I know. What I told her: “Isn’t Caitlyn a much better friend?” Bruce, he would never send a plane. No, no, no, what a jerk the guy was, O.K., Caitlyn is like, “Send the plane. Mom, we’re sending a plane, we’re going to go pick you up and bring you down here.” [...] It seems like she has a lot more friends than he ever had.
I'm not buying it. I bet the newfound extrovertism stays in place for a little while, and that soon enough she'll revert to her true personality.

See, you may be able to change your sex via hormones and plastic surgery, but even the most skilled surgeon cannot give you a misanthropectomy.

Update: Speaking of people who adopt a different identity, one of the most intriguing and convincing transformations was that of Archie Belaney, a.k.a. Grey Owl. (Eat your heart out, Elizabeth Warren.)

No comments: