Sunday, August 23, 2015

Invited Back to Music Festival in Spain, A Defiant Matisyahu Sings a Song About Jerusalem to the Hostile Horde

This, I suggest, is the definition of courage--a breezy in-you-face defiance when confronted by a sea of hate (h/t: MW):
Far from boycotting the reggae artist’s gig, the “hate Israel” crowd showed up en masse. And they came bearing flags, immense Palestinian flags, which they waved with gusto from every corner of the 20,000-strong crowd. 
As Matisyahu took the mike and looked out to the audience, he was presented with an unmistakably hostile message. It was clear that those who sought to have him banished stood before him in protest. Then the catcalls started, with some chanting, “out, out.” It might easily have been unnerving, disorienting. 
But then he began to sing about Jerusalem. 
“Jerusalem, if I forget you, fire not gonna come from me tongue. Jerusalem, if I forget you, let my right hand forget what it’s supposed to do.” 
And then, as he bounced and twirled around the stage, the most defiant lyrics of all: “3, 000 years with no place to be, and they want me to give up my milk and honey.” 
“Tonight was difficult but special,” he later posted on Facebook, along with a clip of the performance.
Even more special than you think, Matisyahu.

No comments: