Thursday, March 11, 2010

La Jour de Gloire Est Arivee?

Don't miss Joanne Hill's superb account (in the Jewish Tribune) of the recent Pipes-Sultan debate in Toronto, the one wherein Daniel floated his trial balloon about "moderate" Islam and Wafa promptly shot it down. An amusing highlight: this part, where an audience member queried Sultan about which Islamic land might serve as a model for others:

Asked, “What is the closest, best role model of the Islamic state?” Dr. Sultan drew laughter and applause when she replied, “I say France. I mean it, because a year ago I gave a speech in France and I thought I was in the Gaza Strip. Seventy-five per cent of my audience were Muslims, shouting and cursing and going crazy, so let’s hope France will be the best role model.”

So much for liberté, égalité, fraternité. Let's see--if France is the model Islamic state, then its name should be "Frankistan," right? Sounds ominously monstrous, I'd say.

No comments: