Sunday, November 28, 2010

First Things First

Elisabeth Sabaditsch-Wolff, the Austrian housewife who's being tried for "hate speech" (she dared to speak the truth about Islam and Islamists) reveals where her devotion to free expression comes from:
You see, I attended Junior High School in Chicago in the 80’s. I don’t know if this still is the case, however, in order to graduate from junior high school I had to study the U.S. Constitution which I wasn’t too happy about at the time, but which has subsequently influenced my thinking. Can you imagine the impact of studying the Constitution on a young girl in junior high school? The most important part for me of the Constitution is the First Amendment guaranteeing freedom of speech. That is a right that is so precious and I will always hope for a similar constitution in Europe. Of course there is no First Amendment, nothing similar to that even though the EU prides itself in guaranteeing freedom of speech. We desperately need a First Amendment. However, I cannot see with the current political situation in Europe that there will be a First Amendment. It is not in the interest of the elite.
There's no First Amendment in Canada either. Instead, we have our Trudeaupian Charter that guarantees us diddly (free speech with an asterisk beside it; no property rights at all).

No comments: