Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Don't Burn, Baby, Burn

A Florida pastor has garnered tons of media coverage because he has promised to burn a Koran on the anniversary of 9/11. Personally, I'm against the torching. Oh, not because I necessarily like what's inside that book, and not because I'm worried that such an act threatens American troops in Afghanistan, and not because I don't hold Islamic teachings--specifically, the command to wage jihad on the infidel pending our total surrender--complicit in the 9/11 naqba. It's just that I don't like the idea of a book--any book--being set on fire. Book burnings and other assorted torchings are for barbarians, inquisitors, Nazis and KKKers, not for civilized people who uphold Judeo-Christian values. In fact, I would say burning books is a clear betrayal of those values.

Bottom line: you don't need an actual fire to burn with passion for democracy and freedom.

Update: Five Feet of Fury agrees that book burning sucks.

No comments: